Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Blood Bowl in a bag

TLDR: I made a set of tokens for playing GW's Blood Bowl on the road.

[EDIT: you can now get them on my itch.io page.] 

My son and I have been really into Blood Bowl lately. It's the first time for him and maybe the third revival of interest for me. It's a miniatures game where each team needs roughly a dozen figures - so it's not very travel friendly. For the holidays I made a travel set of tokens for my son and I to play with. We got in about nine games over the holidays and it worked so well that I have since been improving on the concept and expanding the teams available. My intent is to put the little sketch images up on itch.io for others to use too.

First the images, then I'll explain a bit.


The prototype tokens - colored stickers on wooden discs. The pitch is a foldable "sevens" board from Games Workshop.


Player images, so far. Click to embiggen.



Example of a team sheet, complete with tokens.
"Prone" tokens go on the back of the players.

There are several dozen teams in this season of Blood Bowl. I have the core ones all covered with the images above, with the exception of Amazons and Norse (newer teams) as well as an unofficial team (the Slann - frog folk). Some of the images are reused from team to team. For instance the "Tomb Guardian" for the Tomb Kings team doubles as the Mummy for the Shambling Undead team. I created a one-team-per-sheet print version so that I could print each team out on a colored piece of paper before punching them out with a 1" circle punch and glueing them to wooden craft discs.

Blood Bowl is played like American Football, at least the "elevens" version of the game is. There is a shorter version I like as much if not more called "sevens" that is a bit more like rugby, the primary difference between the two is that teams don't begin a drive in contact in sevens, and the game is played with fewer models (seven, obviously). Elevens takes about two hours to play whereas sevens takes something like 45 minutes.

The counters above are not only great for travel, they are a great way to try out a team before you buy a whole bunch of miniatures to assemble and paint. 

The prone markers were added after the prototype because we realized that all flipped over tokens looked the same and we were picking them up a lot to see whose player and what position prone characters were. In the game, when a player gets knocked down, the opposing coach makes an armor roll. If they "break" your armor you can be stunned, knocked out, or even removed from the game by an injury. But if none of those things happened you are simply lying prone and have to spend 3 movement points to get up. To mark a prone player, we flip the token over. When stunned, we put another marker on top of them. This works super well because of the game procedures that go into "un-stunning" a player and standing them up.

2 comments:

  1. Neat. I have started a similar project for OGRE. I have the counter images made up to be printed and glued to wooden squares and disks. The next step is deciding on how to do the maps. I am thinking about using a POD service that prints on cloth, maybe modular geomorphs and/or individual terrain features, something that can be rolled up and kept in a bag or bookcase game-sized box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! BB 1e was played with paper standees and I enjoyed that very much. I like this idea of playing BB w/ big chunky tokens, sort of like a Chinese chess mash up. Cool stuff, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated; please be patient.