This TSR house engine began as a six-page, two-column circular with clean, sans-serif fonts. Printed before the Greyhawk and Blackmoor supplements, it provides an interesting look at D&D in diapers.
- News – primarily plans for future publications
- A "Creature Feature" in which the Mind Flayer made its first appearance
- A summary of changes to the new printing of Tractics
- A discussion of spears in Chainmail, which ends in a promise to really do pole-arms justice in the future (which had me snickering, knowing just how much space they got in AD&D)
- Two and a half pages on "Solo Dungeon Adventures"
Some of my own earliest solo explorations used these tables and I found them to be quite workable. I was using the DMG versions, but I may have to give these precursors a whirl.
One thing I have to say, I love the look of this zine. I wish that Dragon had adopted some of the same no-nonsense styling. But I realize I may be in the minority in that wish.
Look for more of these posts as I continue my forensics into early D&D. It's, quite frankly, fascinating to see the ideas come together.